Sunday, August 26, 2012

Only blog - or a blog and website?


There is a tendency to have a blog but instead of a website and a blog, even if it is not for everyone or every organization. The more traditional companies are expected and should have a website. Could you image going online Walmart site and just find a blog? Probably not. Then again, if I went to the site of my auto mechanic and found a blog with times, directions, and other information in the sidebars, and a post on tips for seasonal car care, it would work very well.

Here are two examples of people who would just start a blog if they started again. Guy Kawasaki, has said that if he did all he would just start a blog, and in the sidebar of his blog would have had connections with all the "type brochures" and other information it has on its website. He rarely updates his website, but updates his blog almost every day. In addition, Michael McLaughlin, who is the co-author of "Guerrilla Marketing for Consultants," has started a website and a blog to promote his book, but if he did it again, he would just start a blog.

Most companies will still have a website, perhaps even more than one. Most people are familiar with traditional Web sites, and that's what you expect. Even the websites are better than blogs for many purposes, for example, a retailer that has many different products available, and sites that contain mostly material "forever" that is rarely updated or added.

Me personally? I'm keeping my site as well as my blog. Traditionally I have some clients very large companies, some large Fortune 500 companies, and certainly expect web sites and understand very well. That said, if you consider committing to a project I almost always find my blog and enjoy watching me and knowing a little 'before being in contact with me .......

No comments:

Post a Comment